world champion MC Mary Kom has resigned as a national observer of Indian boxing after sports minister Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore made it clear that active athletes will not be considered for the job. .
“I resigned as National Observer 10 days ago after talking to Mr. Rathore and was asked to take the job, it was not something I asked,” Mary Kom, who won his fifth gold medal at the Asian Championships last month, told PTI on Friday.
“I inquired about the rule of not having active athletes as observers with the then sports secretary, Injeti Srinivas, when it was offered to me,” she explained, reacting to the insinuation that his appointment was a conflict of interest. active national camper.
“But at that time I was told that I had to accept the job, but I did it on the insistence of the department and I do not want unnecessary controversy over something I did not ask for. . ”
The 35-year-old Olympic bronze medalist was one of 12 national observers appointed by then-Sports Minister Vijay Goel in March.
The list also includes Olympic gold medalist Abhinav Bindra, two-time Olympic medalist Sushil Kumar and former Commonwealth Games gold medalist Akhil Kumar, among others.
Among them, Sushil and Mary Kom are still active in their respective sports. Akhil, on the other hand, is no longer part of the national camp after giving up amateur boxing. He has already rejected the conflict of interest charge, saying he is neither a beneficiary of government plans nor a part of the national camp.
“I was never interested in that but I accepted the job because I was asked, my hands are full with a lot of things, I’m happy to let him go and not have to complain, “said Mary Kom. The decorated boxer is also a Rajya Sabha MP and is vying for the Commonwealth Games and Asian next year.